Inflammation is a normal body response to injury or tissue damage. However when your diet increases inflammation in the body it is not good. Certain foods negatively increase inflammation in the body. When inflammation levels are above normal in the body it is a known precursor for the development of different disease processes.
Inflammation levels can be checked with a blood test analyzing the C-reactive protein.
Dietary factors that increase inflammation in the body:
- Sugar intake -High fructose corn syrup, etc (One of the worst for inflammation)
- Saturated fat / trans fat intake (hydrogenated oils)
- Vegetable oils and salad dressing intake (Oils: Soybean, corn, peanut, sunflower oil)
- Artificial food additives -Aspartame and MSG
- Refined carbohydrate intake -Processed food (Bread, pasta, wheat, pastries, gluten, casein, any flour products, etc).
- Feed lot raised meat
Supplements, Foods, and Herbs that decrease inflammation:
- Turmeric (Curcumin Spice) *take with food
- Bromelain (Pineapple enzyme extract)
- Omega 3 fish oils (EPA,DHA)
- Jamaican dogwood
- Devil’s claw
- Licorice (not red candy licorice)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh Fruits (preferably raw and not juice)
- Fresh Vegetables (raw is the absolute best, canned and cooking destroys nutrients and allows phytonutrients and vitamins to leach out)
- Bioflavonoids (which are in fruits and vegetables)
- Nuts, seeds
- Salmon, tuna, and other fish
- Evening primrose oil
**Before starting any new supplement consult your prescriber to insure no adverse reactions maybe present with your current drugs.